Friday, February 18, 2011

30 Days of Blogging: Day 20

day 20- write a letter to someone






Dear Borders Books,
 
I am bummed you are filing for bankruptcy. You are closing your Sisk Road location in Modesto. This is going to be a big inconvenience for me. You were the closest book store to my house and I frequented your place of business. I prefer your location to the lesser Barnes and Noble on McHenry Ave because of not only location, but organization. I can easily find what I am looking for in your store. In Barnes and Noble I have to ask for help...something I hate doing.
 
200 of your stores are closing out of 642. Of course Sisk Road had to be one of them. Perhaps this speaks ill of Modestonians literary interests. If you open a location in Ripon, I promise we will keep your business in the black.
 
I suppose online retailers like Amazon and all those techy reading devices like the Kindle didn't help in your business pursuits. I for one prefer holding a book to squinting my eyes at a screen all day. I like to write little notes in my books and fold the corners to mark my page. I cannot do this on a Kindle. Perhaps you should commission some scientists to do a study on the ill effects of reading e books. I don't really know if there are any, but I'm sure they can tweak the outcomes in your favor.
 
You may suggest I go to the library or buy my books online. Your suggestion is not well received. I like to own my books. I know I am killing trees. I'm sorry. Even if I only read them once, I like the way they look sitting on my shelf. I have bought books online before, but going into a bookstore and wandering is a million times better.
 
You disappoint me Borders. I guess I will reluctantly be making the trek to Barnes and Noble or Yesterday's Books. Such a sacrifice.
 
Sincerely,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment